Sunday, May 22, 2011

Back in the yard

It's really spring here in Maryland and edging towards summer. The pink peonies are blooming (they were supposed to be a pink, a red, and a white, but they are 3 very similar pinks). We've seen a few butterflies this month (dark comma, tiger swallowtail, cabbage whites) but their peak is yet to come. The bronze fennel is growing and fluffy. Today we saw the first baby mantises in its fronds. I've planted a few more annuals, which I managed to buy at a little garden center on Rockville Pike, in spite of getting so bewildered by Montrose Parkway as to end up circling the same new and empty parking lot twice, in search of the southbound lane.
The overgrown mugho is on its way out. It was too big and I was tired of dealing with the annual sawfly infestation. So far I've lopped off the top as far down as I could manage with my ratchet pruners. The rest will require a saw. It looks odd right now but just having it shorter improves the proportions of that area.
Photos later, after I coordinate my multiple gadgets.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: